Foundations for Gender Equity
This is the first of five consecutive courses for the Gender Equality Changemakers programme certification. In this course, you will be introduced to foundational concepts relevant to gender work. You will explore gender inequality in contemporary worlds through historical, socio-political, cultural, legal and economic lenses. You will also learn how these affect your workplace identity today.
Start DateFebruary 1, 2024
Is this course for you?
Understanding key terms and concepts related to gender is important for meaningfully engaging in the work of promoting gender equity. To understand how gender stereotypes uphold patriarchal structures and contribute to gender inequality, we need to grasp social aspects of gender. This course is the first step in becoming aware of gender within society, recognising gender stereotyping in the workplace, and learning how to work for gender equality.
What are the intended outcomes?
The objective of this course is to help you understand key gender concepts, analyse the impact of gender socialisation, introduce you to intersectionality, unpack gender equity and gender equality and highlight gender dynamics in your work life.
Introduction to Key Gender Concepts
- Develop a Vocabulary of Key Gender Concepts
- Understand the Difference Between Gender Equity and Gender Equality
- Promote an Inter-sectoral / Intersectional Approach to Gender
Histories of Gender
- Recognise that Understanding of Gender Changes Over Time
- Understand that Historical Social, Political, and Economic Processes Shaped Gender Inequalities
- Understand the Rise and Impact of Feminism
Gender in Contemporary Worlds
- Analyse Contemporary Gender Arrangements and Power Hierarchies
- Identify Barriers to Gender Equality and Justice
- Describe Movements for Gender Equality and Justice
How Cultures Shape Our Workplace Identities
- Comprehend Culture
- Understand how Culture Influences the Workplace.
- Identify and Reflect on Cultural Practices in My Workplace